Tuesday, February 17, 2009

GBBC Wrap-Up

I just submitted my final checklist, containing observations from yesterday, to the Great Backyard Bird Count. The submission form will remain public through the end of the month, so if any readers have bird counts they would like to submit, there is still time to add them.

It looks like my town will finish with 52 species. That's pretty diverse for a 1.8-square-mile town in the middle of winter. The number also excludes some obvious misses. (Where were the Double-crested Cormorants and Belted Kingfishers that we saw on the Christmas Bird Count?)

As for my reviewing assignment, DC finished the weekend with 72 species, including one that I have not seen in the District, White-winged Scoter. As of now, 47 checklists have been submitted, bringing participation in line with previous years.